Books and Quotes

I now have 4 books I'm attempting to read within the next 3 weeks. I had requested all 4 through interlibrary loan, and somehow, they all arrived at my library at the same time! I'm hoping with some, it will only be a chapter or two worth reading so that I'm not rushing to read at the last minute.

At any rate, the first book and shortest read is Music and the Mind by Anthony Storr. While the information thus far is very informational, what is keeping me most engaged are the quotes by musicians and other intellectuals.

Some of my favorites are:

  • Since music is the only language with the contradictory attributes of being at once intelligible and untranslatable, the musical creator is a being comparable to the gods, and music itself the supreme mystery of the science of man. ~Claude Lévi-Strauss
  • Music is so naturally united with us that we cannot be free from it even if we so desired. ~Boetius
  • Music creates order out of chaos; for rhythm imposes unanimity upon the divergent; melody imposes continuity upon the disjointed, and harmony imposes compatibility upon the incongruous. ~Yehudi Menuhin
  • Through musical interaction, two people create forms that are greater than the sum of their parts, and make for themselves experiences of empathy that would be unlikely to occur in ordinary social intercourse. ~John Blacking

Anthony Storr explores these quotes and others throughout this book. I hope to review this book when I finish reading.

Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

0 comments: